Sunday, January 17, 2010

Things That Go Bump In The Night

Our house is old. It's an old farmhouse.

In the summer..it's hot and sticky and there is nothing that you can really do about it.

In the winter..it's cold...and there is nothing that you can really do about it.

As we work towards re-doing the kitchen this winter...there are little bits here and there of newspaper coming out from the walls...that show you the insulation (or rather, lack thereof) which may have had some sort of impact on the flucuating temperatures of this house.

So in the summer...when people have gone to bed...if you keep your door open..there is a much better chance of air circulation happening and the room you're sleeping in cooling down.

In the winter...if you keep your down open while you're sleeping there is a much better chance of air circulation happening and the room you're sleeping in warming up.

Being winter..it makes sense that people keep their doors open when they're sleeping. Being the night owl that I am...I've sometimes stay up later than I should. This means that I go to bed long after everyone else has...and because bedroom doors are often left open so that they don't freeze to death because this is canada eh ...I feel really guilty turning on hallway lights to get to my bedroom because it usually means that the light shines into my parents bedroom and disturbs at least one of their sleep.

Sinve I've moved home...I've become a master of navigating throughout the house in the dark. It's not actually that difficult...and I usually manage without too many problems.

That is, before we started renovations.

And all of the stuff that was in the kitchen and all things christmas and basically the entire house..exploded. Everywhere. Especially onto the path on my way to my bedroom.

The other night I turn off the lights and started walking when suddenly I let out a screech and doubled over in pain. I limped back to the light and flipped it on...only to find that I walked right straight into (and almost through?) a chair that somehow got lodged in the middle of the path from the office to my bedroom.

Doh.

Next up? Eating so many carrots that my eyesight in the dark improves.

Or until I turn orange and explode.

Really...whatever comes first.

..And I said I wasn't science minded. Psh.

No comments:

Post a Comment