Thursday, January 14, 2010

Airport Lovins

I kinda sorta maybe love the movie 'Love Actually'. I spent many a night last year cuddled up with my 'middle child' watching it...seemingly on repeat. For some odd reason..she ADORED that movie basically more than anything...and so after I tucked her little sister into bed..we'd often wrap ourselves in blankets, make some hot chocolate and settle in to watch it.

I have always loved the opening scene when Hugh Grant does the voice over while clips of arrival gates are being shown.

You know - the..."Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around." opening statement.

After spending multiple days this week at the airport...and more than fifteen hours going to, returning from or AT an airport...I can say without a doubt...what's not to love?

Well - there is the fact that parking costs almost $10/hour. That kinda sucks.

And that when I was buying a couple of muffins and a couple of drinks...it rivaled the cost of a tank of gas.

Oh - and speaking of gas prices. They suck. Especially when you've just spent two hours driving to the airport. And two hours driving back. Oh - and do that twice - in one week. To go to the stupid airport.

And the fact that the airport took my cousin from me. Grrr...Stupid airport.

Well - the first time we took her to the airport..they spit her back out at us thanks to some kinda dumb dumb head people...you know the ones that don't know what a Ph.D is? Yeah - those ones. And to be quite honest..I was quite happy about that...in an odd way..I mean - more cousin love? Sign me up.

But then today...they were all like...We love you! Right this way lady! And she was wisked away - off to be a Bostonian...and just like that the airport stole my cousin.

Blah. Turns out - I'm not so much of a fan of airports.

They're kind of expensive and smelly. And mean. WHO STEALS COUSINS?!

Although maybe I might be down with what Hugh was saying when the airport spits out my cousin back out again at her arrival gate in a month. I might "actually love" (ha. ha. ha.) them then.

Okay - turns out...unless I've got a ticket in my hand and a bag packed - I'm not so much a fun of the departures gates.

There is lots of crying. And people stressed about their bags weighing too much. And people going fun places that I'm not. And that's not fun. At least not for ME.

But the arrivals gates - well...they can still be in the good books. For now. But they better watch themselves..because I've got my eye on them.

Literally.

You know, since I'm now seem to be living at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment