Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Love Letter

Dear Canada;

I know that lately we've been distant. In the summer our reunion was grand, and I thought that we'd never drift again. But it seems that I've left you on your own on a few occasions in the last few years and it has caused a rift deeper than I thought possible, which I know is not fair to you, or to me. I know that I've been absent off and on for a few years but I thought you understood. I know that this time of year has been especially hard on our relationship, but you need to see where I'm coming from and go easy on me. It's not that I don't love you - I do. It's just that, well, I find you rather...a tad...cold lately. You're nice and all, but when I'm around you I can't help but shudder, to the point where sometimes I can't stop shivering - just when I THINK about you. It's not YOU exactly, it's just the way that you present yourself. You give off the impression that you're warm and friendly. I can see you from the windows of my house, and you look rather respectable. Like something that ANYONE would want. The sun is shining and it makes the cape that you've covered yourself with look as thought it's made of diamonds...and we all know that diamonds are a girls best friend. You trick me with your beautiful blues into thinking that you'll be what I want to surround myself with...but once I take a step towards you and open up to greet you, you take my breath away. And not in a good way. The negativity that surrounds you is getting to me and when I look around and see you plummet further and further into the dark depths of this negative side of the spectrum...it makes me want to curl up in my bed and never go outside again. I need you to be positive once again for the sake of everything good in this world, but especially our relationship. I remember the summer when we laughed, danced and frolicked about and those memories make me so happy, that I just want those times back again.

I'm sorry to have to break it to you like this, and I don't want to hurt your feelings..because I really do love you with all of my heart. But until are able to find warmth in your heart, until you stop tricking me and making me believe that you're something that you're not...like you do every time this time of year...I don't think that this relationship can continue.

You may think that it's all a big game. And I know that your mother is putting you up to it. It is her nature after all. But it's time for you to clean up your act. Take off your cape to show the true beauty hiding within to me and once that happens...I know that we can be friends again. And maybe, one day hopefully not too far away from now...things will blossom into something more.

In other words....something needs to be done. Warm the heck up, or I'm leaving you.

Again.

Love Always Conditionally,

Erin

PS - I'm willing to meet you in the middle on this issue, but I can't be the one to do all of the work and give up everything in this relationship. You warm up a bit and I'll add another layer to insulate my feelings when I feel insulted by your behaviour. After all, isn't that what relationships are all about? Finding a way to meet in the middle so that everyone is happy...or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment